mu's world

nothingness

Monday, December 20, 2004

The Day

This is it. Today is the day that I play "catch-up". I've got to finish my Christmas shopping today. Ugh. Next year...I'm doing this right. I'm starting in July or something. I say that every year...but really...I've got to do it that way or I'm running the risk of giving myself an ulcer (I've probably got one already).
The weekend was interesting. Friday night was nice. Me and Star went into Boston to see a show (Evan Dando). It was one of the most relaxing "club" experience I've ever had. We got to sit! Boy does that make a difference. Saturday, I went out for lunch with my sister and then that was about it. One of Star's best friend's came up from Philly around 2:00 pm. We hung out and then went back into the city to see a friend's band. That was kind of a strange night. The show was at some gallery in an artist "colony" of some sort in South Boston. It was nice and all, but the guy running the gallery was trying to charge $7 and there was no bathroom in the joint. It was also BYOB (seemed a bit sketchy). I don't know...I guess I was feeling kind of old. And actually, I think there's a huge chance that I was the oldest person at the show. There are more reasons for why it was strange night...though I don't feel like getting into the details now. Basically...I don't feel as cool and hip has I might have at one time and I especially feel un-cool at gatherings like that. I'm also reminded of shit that we've endured in the last couple of months...the naivete is gone. I miss it.
Yesterday we went to an open house at a friend's. Other than not knowing anybody there except for three people...it was okay. There was an adorable kid named Jack there. He was fun. And then there was his mom. She was pregnant and due April 30th (about 2 weeks after I'd be due if I were still pregnant). So...that was a little wierd. I couldn't stop thinking about how I'd have a belly now if I were pregnant. A belly with big boobs. I wasn't really feeling anything...maybe just numb. Then the mommy talked about how she and her husband had moved into her dad's house because she's a stay-at-home-mom. Her poor husband commutes an hour to get to work and then goes home to his father-in-law. She didn't say that...(poor) I was just thinking it. She just said..."the sacrifices you make". I was thinking..."no thanks"...maybe I don't want kids.
Her son was adorable though...and he really liked me.
Well...
I'm off. I need to get going. It's going ot be a long day.

1 Comments:

  • At December 20, 2004 at 10:07 AM, Blogger Crista said…

    The reminders always smack you in the face when you least expect it (and still do for me, even now). Sorry it was in the midst of other difficult feelings, too. I gave up on being hip or cool a loooong time ago, so I hear you there, too. I used to go to shows in Beantown all the time, and I think if I even tried now I'd feel like I was sticking out like a sore thumb! Oh well -- we're really *not* old, just in a different place. I'm sure you still fit in a lot better than I would, especially since your DH plays in a band! Good luck with the shopping today...is it snowing as much up there as it is down here? Be careful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home