mu's world

nothingness

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Not too much to report

Yesterday was a pretty average day. Nothing too much happening, I guess. Except for that we found out that my father-in-law has pneumonia. Pneumonia is never good but it is especially nerve-wracking with my FIL because he's had some pretty terrible health problems in the last year. Last August he was in a horrible car accident that came very close to killing him. After being in a chemically induced coma for 3 weeks and spending a couple of months in the hospital and rehab, he's doing amazingly well. He's truly a miracle man. He's been back to work and his "regular" life since April now. But hearing that he now has pneumonia is a little scary. He isn't in the hospital or anything like that, so I feel that we are fortunate for that.
Last night we spent some time with our friends that are moving to Montana. I think I mentioned before that I feel a bit shitty because I've barely seen them in the last week or so and now they are off to the road on Sunday. I guess they've been busy. I mean, I know they've been busy...packing and having family visit before they leave. Anyway...it was a bit sad walking into their apartment last night and seeing a lot of their things packed up and away. S (the girl) is really not into the whole moving thing. I asked her if she was feeling a tiny bit excited at all. She said a flat no. I'm sure her husband knows that she's not happy with the move. But...I guess I just feel like both of them should be comfortable with the decision. I suppose I've been spoiled by my husband. Everything we do is a joint decision. I guess I don't completely understand their move if one of them is unhappy with it.
Strange dreams last night. I don't really remember them exactly. But one thing I definitely do remember is a huge ass spider. I suppose I've just been remembering real life in my dreams. On our back porch a couple of days ago, there were two enormous spider webs with huge, fat spiders sitting in the middle of them. Star got rid of the webs for me (we both felt a bit guilty for that) because they were attached to plants that I'll be bringing back inside when it gets too cold. And also, right next to the computer, there is another (dead) spider smushed to the wall. It's kind of gross and I don't know why Star didn't actually clean it up. Anyway...I'm sure that a spider represents something in a dream. I'll have to look it up.
I'm getting closer to my doctor's appointment. Tomorrow afternoon I go for the blood tests. Then on Monday...the big day. I'm already getting a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about it. I really don't know what to expect. More blood, pelvic exams, talking? I'm sure a mixture of all. I'm most nervous that I won't explain myself well enough. Also, I want Star to be there with me...I don't know if they will be too keen on that.
Oh well...
Hey...by the way...anyone having a problem getting to my blog? I had a problem...maybe it's just me.


1 Comments:

  • At September 30, 2004 at 10:42 AM, Blogger Crista said…

    Hi Moon.

    Okay, I think I've finally caught up on your blog from last week. Sorry I haven't been around much, but things have been crazy.

    I wanted to comment on your post about counseling, and not surprisingly, Christine said pretty much what I was thinking. I came very close to Depression after my first miscarriage, having felt like the rug had just been totally pulled from underneath me, and with the holidays right after, it was a really tough time. I talked to the doc who did my D&C (not my regular OB/Gyn, and not a doc I ended up liking very much) about counseling, but I never followed through on it, mainly because I sought support from family and friends, and particularly from the message boards Christine mentioned (especially on ivillage).

    I've since moved away from the boards in large part, since I found the blog world and sort of a "tighter" circle of support (for which I will be forever grateful to the boards), but the boards unquestionably provided instrumental "therapy" for me.

    Everyone is different, though, and I am a big talker, so I talked to anyone and everyone who would listen -- if that's not your way, you might just benefit from more formal counseling or therapy. It's most certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and it can make a huge difference if you find the right person -- and like Christine said, you can always change your mind!

    Okay, enough of my rambling on that topic...as for your upcoming appointment, is it essentially consultation with your OB/Gyn to determine where you should go from here? I would definitely ask about seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist or Perinatologist, and if it's helpful, these are the questions I asked my OB/Gyn, before seeing the RE...

    What does the pathology report from the D&C say?
    What blood tests will we do?
    -Thyroid
    -Prolactin
    -Progesterone
    -Clotting disorders
    -Chromosomal translocation
    -Polycystic ovaries (PCO)
    Does my husband need to get a semen analysis and/or blood work done?
    Do I need an HSG (or saline u/s) to check that my fallopian tubes are open?
    Will everything be covered, or is it possible that there will be costs associated with the testing and/or potential treatment?

    I don't know how the appointment will go for you, but at my appointment when I asked these questions, it was after my second m/c and D&C, and this was essentially just a consultation appointment. I had my post-op appointment the next week, so my doc didn't examine me -- we just talked and she gave me the lab slips I needed for blood work and referral forms for other appoinments. (When I was examined the next week, they also did a culture to check my uterus for infection, which you might want to ask about as well.)

    Sorry to go on for so long, but I hope that helps. Hang in there, and know that I'm thinking of you.

    Oh, and btw, I also live in Connecticut (the NE corner, on the MA line), and I lived in Boston, Brighton, Medford, and Arlington during/after college and grad school. We're practically neighbors! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home